WORLD ABLAZE EMERGENCIES DECLARED!

A forum for discussions and posts about hurricanes, blizzards, tornadoes, forest fires, floods, landslides, lightening strikes, and sinkholes. This forum is open to SpectroNet Members and the general public.

Moderators: ScottTodd, SpectroNet Members

SheilaH
Assistant Admin

WORLD ABLAZE EMERGENCIES DECLARED!

Post by SheilaH » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:07 pm

Wildfires are burning around the world. The most alarming is in the Amazon rainforest
The Amazon burning has been all over the news but I hadn't taken the time to really absorb the LEVEL that the world is burning currently. I think it's safe to say we have "global warming" but the cause??? I'll reiterate my thought that it's a natural cycle of earth but humans aren't helping whatsoever! Glaciers disappearing, wildfires increasing globally, excessive temps, droughts, etc etc .....the news from Mother Earth hasn't been promising of late. Throw in a supervolcano eruption, and an asteroid hit why don't you to the mix? Not hot enough yet???? What's next...are we returning to a more "violent earth"...I have NO clue!

Alaska, Canary Islands, the Amazon, and yes even Greenland are ablaze!!! California is eerily quiet FOR NOW! Increased temps have contributed to drought which lead to fire. Humans have caused a MAJOR climate crisis in the Amazon that perhaps will affect the rest of us! The Amazon is at a "tipping point" per scientists. Greenland may wreak havoc on all of us if the fires continue to burn through the winter as feared...there will be more glaciers to melt....not good!

We learned this in grade school....so this so-called "tipping point" is critical to the world as we know it.
Effects of damage to the Amazon go far beyond Brazil and its neighbors. The area's rainforest generates more than 20% of the world's oxygen and 10% of the world's known biodiversity. The Amazon is referred to as the "lungs of the planet" and plays a major role in regulating the climate. The world would drastically change if the rainforest were to disappear, impacting everything from farms to drinking water
Humans make wildfires worse. In the Amazon, humans are the underlying cause.
In many ecosystems, wildfires are a natural and essential phenomenon. They clear out decaying brush, restore nutrients to soil, and even help plants germinate. But in recent years, humans have made the destruction from wildfires worse at every step. Suppression of natural fires has allowed dry vegetation to ***. Human activity is changing the climate, which is forcing some forests to heat up and dry out. People are building ever closer to areas ready to ignite. And people end up igniting the majority of wildfires, whether through downed power lines, errant sparks, or arson.
The Amazon rainforest is burning. A record number of fires, over 72,000, have been detected in the world's largest rainforest this year. Brazil's National Institute for Space Research reports that's an 83% increase from last year. Environmental groups say the policies of Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, encourage deforestation of the Amazon, which, in turn, allows for more fires. Bolsonaro alleges that environmental groups started the fires to embarrass his administration.
https://www.vox.com/world/2019/8/20/208 ... il-siberia
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/the-amazon- ... -can-help/
https://youtu.be/BRPvByc5JMY
Sheila :D
help/faq

Cecilia
Full SpectroNet Member

Re: WORLD ABLAZE EMERGENCIES DECLARED!

Post by Cecilia » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:50 pm

Terrible, so sad...

SheilaH
Assistant Admin

Post by SheilaH » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:20 am

Ceci, yes it is scary indeed! The Amazon has been burning for a few years but has gotten worse. But GREENLAND?
help/faq

LoriWinters
Full SpectroNet Member

Post by LoriWinters » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:18 pm

This is so sad!!! Thanks

SheilaH
Assistant Admin

Post by SheilaH » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:47 pm

*Again I state my disclaimer..."my opinion only!"
The Amazon is burning because the world eats so much meat
So let me get this straight? As a STEAK lover I'm contributing to the Amazon burning? :x Orrrrr...are the cows single-"hoofedly" ( :oops: ) causing this crisis by chomping their way thru the Rainforest?
Ask "Captain Chainsaw"!!!

JUST STOP THIS INSANITY AND WORRY ABOUT THE GLOBAL EFFECTS ALREADY!!!
I'm no :ugeek: but :roll: :?:
And if saving the rainforest isn't enough to convince carnivores to stop eating Brazilian beef -- the greenhouse gas emissions the cattle create may be.
Beef is responsible for 41% of livestock greenhouse gas emissions, and that livestock accounts for 14.5% of total global emissions. And methane -- the greenhouse gas cattle produce from both ends -- is 25 times more potent that carbon dioxide.
Alberto Setzer, a senior scientist at INPE, told CNN that the burning can range from a small-scale agricultural practice, to new deforestation for mechanized and modern agribusiness projects.
Farmers wait until the dry season to start burning and clearing areas so their cattle can graze, but this year's destruction has been described as unprecedented. Environmental campaigners blame this uptick on Bolsonaro, who they say has encouraged ranchers, farmers, and loggers to exploit and burn the rainforest like never before with a sense of impunity.
More than two-thirds of the Amazon are located in Brazil and environmental groups accuse Bolsonaro, who has previously said he is not "Captain Chainsaw," of relaxing environmental controls in the country and encouraging deforestation.

^^^^^^ Don't ya just love those pesky environmentalists "Captain Chainsaw"???????

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/23/americas ... index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/23/americas ... &utm_sourc
help/faq

SheilaH
Assistant Admin

Post by SheilaH » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:43 pm

Reject....Accept? IS THERE REALLY A CHOICE MR CHAINSAW PRESIDENT BOLSONARO ?
There is absolutely NO ROOM to take a "so-called personal attack" on your wife as a reason to NOT accept AID to put these fires out or at a minimum get them under control! To cherry pick WHO and WHAT countries are involved in the decision to AID in the effort to bring these fires that IMPACT THE ENTIRE GLOBE is preposterous, asinine, and imbecilic!!! Grow some kahunas President Bolsonaro and do the right thing!
Brazil will reject $20 million of Amazon fire aid from G7
“Thanks, but maybe those resources are more relevant to reforest Europe,” Bolsonaro’s chief of staff, Onyx Lorenzoni, told Brazilian news site Globo.
He said that if Mr. Macron withdrew “insults made to my person,” and what Mr. Bolsonaro interpreted as insinuations that Brazil does not have sovereignty over the Amazon, he would reconsider.
If multiple large volcanic eruptions increase dramatically and the Amazon Rainforest is burning, do I think we'd experience a year without a summer? Make that YEARS without summers and I'd say hell yes! If Toba decides to rear it's ugly head in the mix, well I don't want to even fathom that!

I'm no environmentalist and I don't chain myself to trees, however I do recall learning the importance of the Amazon Rainforest in grade school! Repeat...I believe man is contributing to global warming but certainly NOT the sole cause because we industrialized. But MAN is the cause of this out of control crisis unfolding that WILL WREAK HAVOC ON THE ENTIRE WORLD! Famine, drought, weather catastrophies, earthquakes, etc etc ...we can and do handle and eventually return to a so-called normalcy. Food, medicine, and fresh water can be trucked in....BUT OXYGEN...20% of the world's O2 is NOT something we can fly or truck in!!! :x

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/27/americas ... index.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/27/worl ... n-aid.html
help/faq

SheilaH
Assistant Admin

Post by SheilaH » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:03 pm

PS BRAZIL DOES NOT HAVE SOVEREIGN RIGHTS TO THE AMAZON RAINFOREST!!!!!! :x
Nine countries share the Amazon basin—most of the rainforest, 58.4%, is contained within the borders of Brazil. AND BRAZIL...YOU'RE ON FIRE!!!

The Amazon rainforest spreads across nine countries namely Brazil, Ecuador, Venezuela, Suriname, Peru, Colombia, Bolivia, Guyana, and French Guiana.
help/faq

LoriWinters
Full SpectroNet Member

Post by LoriWinters » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:44 pm

this whole thing makes me sick!!! and yet another reason i hate people!!!!