Any Amateur Radio People?...

For discussions and posts about all kinds of survival techniques, bug out bags, and preparing for the next disaster....Whatever that may be! This forum is open to SpectroNet Members and the general public.

Moderators: ScottTodd, SpectroNet Members

Berend Baas
Full SpectroNet Member

Any Amateur Radio People?...

Post by Berend Baas » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:53 pm

...or radio of any type, Zello or the like?

JaniceTroska
Full SpectroNet Member

Re: Any Amateur Radio People?...

Post by JaniceTroska » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:54 pm

Amateur Radio is one area I would love to get involved with...maybe this will be the year...:-)

Berend Baas
Full SpectroNet Member

Post by Berend Baas » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:47 pm

@Sally...Actually I'm going for my Tech and General later this month. Being in an apartment complex my chances for any kind of a formidable antenna are small to nill. I intend to stay with VHF and UHF reflectors and repeaters.for now. I have a Kenwood TH D-74A on the way for DMR and D-Star kind of stuff. My simplex will prolly be limited but I'll do my best with that.

@JaniceTroska...Now is the best time to get your license. There are MANY self study and instruction on the Web/YouTube. The Technician Class is much
easier than the Novice Class test was back in the day when I held Novice (WV2VUP). Best part is there is no more Morse Code requirement which was my stumbling block back then. The test is being passed by nine year olds and a few disgruntled wives who have felt upstaged by radios, of all things, and decided to join in. The idea here is to get more people involved in the hobby.

NatalieKelly
Full SpectroNet Member

Post by NatalieKelly » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:58 pm

A few years a go I used to be in a group with some people from the Uk and USA and we would watch storms and radars and live steams of tornadoes and we used an online radio...could have been Zello but I'll go through my emails and have a check...

JaniceTroska
Full SpectroNet Member

Post by JaniceTroska » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Well, at least I know who I can talk to when I'm ready to learn..:-)

JaniceTroska
Full SpectroNet Member

Post by JaniceTroska » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:56 am

So, are you guys able to receive interesting satellite signals when orbiting above with your equipment? I think that would be super cool....ijs..

Berend Baas
Full SpectroNet Member

Post by Berend Baas » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:16 pm

Actually, Janice, satellite communications has been going on for decades. "Oscar" was put into orbit in the late '60s. It offered a relay function for Hams. Today there are quite a few satellites in low earth orbit with the same function. The ISS has a fully operational amateur station that makes contact to amateurs around the world as it passes overhead. Just recently the ISS had an event that involved slow scan television signals for reception, leaving a stream of pictures as it went along.